On America's Emerald Isle
|HISTORY OF THE McDONOUGH STORE
Section 23 Town 39 North Range 10 West Lots 4 and 5
|November 1, 1849||Sold to James J. Strang by the United States Government|
|May 9, 1901||Purchased by Wilbur F. Gill for one hundred ($100.00) dollars.|
|1902||Store building built by Gill|
|May 16, 1903||Purchased by Beaver Island Lumber Company|
|May 15, 1915||Sold by Beaver Island Lumber Company to John Grill for eight hundred ($800.00) dollars.|
|May 6, 1933||Sold by John Grill to Lloyd and Eva McDonough for $3,542.46, which included property and inventory.|
|May 6, 1933||The first day of business Total income $21.80|
|May 10, 1972||
Lloyd McDonough to Bud and Skip McDonough
The store was built by Gill and used by the Beaver Island Lumber Company as a company store. The room on the front right-hand side was used as an office for the company. In later years it was used as a beauty shop, sandwich shop and ice cream stand.
In the spring of 1955 we changed the store into a self-service except for the meat counter. It is the same today.
In the spring of 1957 we cut out a wall and made the front right room part of the store.
|May 1973||We added a new room on the east side which is 24 x 36 feet.|
Old shelving torn out. Crew from Spartan Store Development and Non-foods came and set up shelving.
Bud has been in the store since September, 1953 and Skip since November, 1954. We and our kids hope lo be around a long time.
|1985||New Store grand opening|
|Dalwhinnie grand opening|
|Major addition completed to increase selection dramatically|